BOROUGH 22

#BoysThatBake

Since 2010 I have been attempting to track down a gluten free doughnut worth eating, Borough 22 has cracked it and we have A LOT to thank them for.

Gluten, Wheat, Egg, Dairy, Soya free and vegan these rings of joy are perfect for everyone. They are baked, never fried and suitable for freezing.

With 5 major flavours – vanilla glazed, cinnamon sugar, raspberry glazed, dark chocolate ganache and plain sugar - you’re bound to find something you love.

The doughnuts are slightly heavier than a traditional gluten doughnut but nevertheless they taste sublime and are a real treat that doesn’t cost a fortune.
At the incredibly reasonable price of £2 a doughnut I find myself popping into several cafes at any opportunity to pick one up!

In September 2015 – a few weeks after my first Borough 22 order - I sat down with the doughnut man himself, Ryan Panchoo.
 _______________________________________________

I first met Ryan in July 2015 after my Instagram feed started filling up with extremely tempting treats. I was sold on one photograph alone and contacted him straight away to place my order. Upon meeting him I knew immediately that I wanted to do a special feature on the blog, I wanted to share the story behind Borough 22.

Behind the hustle and bustle of Oxford Street is the lovely St Christopher’s Place; a fun, inviting, alfresco square where shoppers can come and relax, get some great food and also a decent cup of coffee. Here is where Ryan I meet, order our flat whites and talk all things gluten free.

WHY DID YOU START BOROUGH 22?

“It sort of started as a labour of love for my wife and kids” who between them suffer from wheat, gluten, dairy and processed sugar intolerances as well as IBS.
Also you’d pay much money to get something that looks really good but actually it would be ‘alright’ or ‘disgusting’ or that it ‘stripped all the saliva from my mouth’. I wanted to find something that they could all, collectively, have after dinner”
WHAT INSPIRES YOU AND YOUR DOUGHNUT FLAVOURS?

“I look a lot on Instagram, I’d say that’s my favourite social media. I knew the flavors had to be classic; Raspberry was always going to happen – she’s very photogenic – and chocolate because EVERYONE loves chocolate…  For me Cinnamon Sugar is my favourite, hands down.

YOU HAVE AN AMAZING PRICE POINT OF £2 A DONUT…
“One of our mottos when we started was that we wanted to have equality for all; and that meant quality of ingredients and it being ‘as good as’ (so not compromising on taste) but we also wanted to the price point to be around the same as well”.

WHAT’S “THE DREAM” FOR BOROUGH 22
“I want for people to know who we are. Instead of ‘let’s go and get a Krispy Kreme’ I want them to say ‘let’s get a Borough 22’”

You can’t help but find Ryan’s passion and enthusiasm infectious. It’s exciting, it’s relevant and it’s likeable. Ryan is a family man, a baker, a master of doughnuts.

Growing bigger every day I find myself wondering WHATS NEXT FOR BOROUGH 22?

“The donuts are here to stay.”
 ______________________________________________________

Recomendations: Chocolate and any of the Borough 22 seasonal specials!
Dedicated GF kitchen: yes
Location: Find BOROUGH 22 at:
The Plumstead Pantry - 16 Warwick Terrace SE18 
Good Food Catford - 7 Sandhurst Market, Sandhurst Rd, London SE6 1DL
The Brocca Cafe - 4 Coulgate St, London SE4 2RW
or online at: www.borough22.com

Cereal Mylk

Nutella



Share:
© REFRAIN FROM THE GRAIN | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig